Wednesday, August 10, 2011

It's been a long road, getting from there to here

 Well, first I will catch up a bit since I've been out of the blogging realm for the past month and a half or so... haha

I am home in my lovely state of Nevada now!

The Mormon Mesa with the Bunker Mountain in the Background
Tractors are common in Overton!
The Muddy River. See? Not all deserts are dry!

Lovely Overton Nevada.
Forrest in the middle of a desert huh?
I have lived here for a large portion of my life, probably around 13 years... And all I can truly say is that it has been dusty. And I love it.

Since I've been home I've mostly been making plans for my LDS mission. For those of you who do not know what that is, it's a time when a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints, commonly known as Mormons, (a nick name given to us for an additional book of scripture that we use accompanying the Bible, The Book of Mormon) goes out and proclaims the gospel. For males it is usually 2 years, for females it is usually 18 months. We fill out a bunch of paperwork and based off of that paperwork, we are called to a location to preach. I myself, was called to the Brazil, Belo Horizonte mission. When you open your calling, it is an extremely exciting time for a prospective missionary. If you want to see me open my call, it's actually posted to YouTube by my good friend John. Here is the link:

Me opening my mission call

Unfortunately, Brazil has a large amount of paperwork to fill out for my Visa... and it's taking a long time. haha, but that's good. I'll get to spend time with my family for the last time for 2 years.

To continue, I finished my Spring Semester at BYU-I, receiving nearly all A's, with one A- in my cello lessons. I'm disappointing to myself, I know. It is my goal to get an A in that class so bad... But I'll have to wait til my next semester in a long time to try again. I guess that's what I get for taking 19 credits. oh well. haha

I'm sad that I won't get to see my roommates again though. I've had some good times with them... Alex and Taylor, you two and I have been great friends since we've roomed together. I'm also glad to have had 3 other roommates that were better than most: Jeremy, Nate, and Blaine. I had a lot of good times with all of you guys. It was a bit of a pain rooming with you Alex, you taking up the room with your monster computer, but I love you still. :) haha

Alex's computer... beast I know.
Alex (left) and Taylor (right)



Me and Taylor!
Alex is tired from Church...
 I'm so glad to have had a great time for my first year of college. I learned a lot, and I'm better for it truly.

Well honestly, there has been something that I feel I should write on. I've been getting this feeling for a while, and I'm finally doing it! (At 1 AM no-less!)

Today, I would like to talk to you about a virtue I believe everyone could work on. Patience. We all know something about patience right? Well let me tell you what I know about patience. It can be summed up in one word. SO, the word I choose to describe patience is...

Focal.

Odd word to use, huh? "Why is it focal?" you might ask. Well let me tell you why, because there are two reasons.

1.
The first reason is: The focal point of a circle is the middle. We can understand why patience can be considered the center, based on what patience affects. Patience leads to humility. Patience's close neighbor of the word suffer. When we suffer, we bear burdens, when we bear burdens we become strong as well as humble. I believe that if everyone was patient, we would have less fighting, mistakes, distrust. When you have someone that just annoys you, you hardly ever take the time to listen to what they have to say. I had a roommate like this, however I had to control myself with patience in order to be able to listen to him. He really needed my help, and I could have just brushed him off like everyone else. Or I could be a better person that I know I could be and wait through what he has to say.

2.
I believe that the other definition of Focal, Of or relating to the focus of a lens, is just as important. I see that when we have different degrees of patience, we see things differently, such as through a different lens. Things get clearer and more focused when we have more patience.


I have stated why I used the word focal... but I haven't stated how you can become more patient. In truth, I can't. I don't know what pushes you to your edge... for me it's often flowery-talk or over-compliments. But what is important to me is to not follow your impulses. For some reason, we have this ability to be prompted to do something immediately, and that something never seems like a good idea after you think about it. building patience is building a resistance to this impulse in my opinion. So that's a place to start. I'm sure you can figure it out on your own after that.

Well, that's my small rant. To close it up real fast, I'd like to use some Mormon doctrine. This is something that I have thought on a lot, and it has been told to me how patience is the core of religion itself. In Moroni 7:43-45 which state how without charity, we cannot have hope, and without hope, we cannot have faith. But in verse 45 it describes what charity actually is, and the very first words to describe it are "suffereth long". After reading the verse, you could see that at even the root of charity IS patience. Charity is often described as the "Pure love of Christ". I don't see why Patience doesn't fit into that description. In D&C 4:5-6 we read the Christ-like attributes. Two of which are: temperance and patience. I believe that we cannot have charity until we have patience. So it is important to find it for yourself in these stressful and tough days.

"Patience serves as a protection against wrongs as clothes do against cold. For if you put on more clothes as the cold increases, it will have no power to hurt you. So in like manner you must grow in patience when you meet with great wrongs, and they will then be powerless to vex your mind."
-Leonardo da Vinci


1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking about patience a lot lately too. I like this haha

    ReplyDelete